Amit Y Deflection

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Forum rules
Posts in this section are deleted 5 years after the last reply
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Amit Y Deflection

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:18 pm

I split this from a thread in the Haunting forum because I wanted to answer it fully without totally derailing the original topic. Also, this type of discussion seems more appropriate here in the coffee house section.

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 am
Dan the Damned wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:39 am
You're one to talk. You are often a total jerk to people and then you turn around and whine when people give it back to you.

You want to be a moderator here, but you see nothing wrong with certain things such as publishing people's addresses. And when informed that it isn't allowed, you respond with an attack. Not the sort of thing we're looking for in a moderator, I'm afraid...
Can you quote me where I requested to be a mod prior to last year please.
"Prior to last year?" I didn't mention a time frame. Why does the date matter? Would it be less valid if you said it last month instead of 5 years ago?

Anyway, it wasn't an official request to be a moderator. You actually wanted us to hand the whole board over to you back in 2018. No way we're gonna do that, so the closest thing would be to make you a moderator (hence why I worded it that way). Here's what you said:
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:36 pm
DUDE, should have given the controls to me. I've been into Amityville since 1995 and literally every day thought about 112 Ocean Avenue. With respect its time to hand over the torch. I'm not the eldest but the most enthusiastic.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm
And if you go back I offered to buy the house with shares from others. I work for a top company of the world and could have afforded it. Imagine what we'd have done. We could have changed the face of the whole legacy.
msmart112 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 pm
DUDE...with respect it's time for you to leave and start your own message board.

Then you can have the "controls" all to yourself...and you can hold the torch...and you can experience the ungratefulness of the clowns who whine when your board experiences difficulties while you have more important things in life to deal with.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:27 pm
Why would I start my own board when this should be the number 1 place for Amityville enthusiasts? I only care about making this community better. If the webmaster gets bored of it its in his best interests to pass the torch to someone who can do a much better job.
So you made the comment in 2018. Not sure why that matters to you, but there it is. And if you click on the little arrow after the word "wrote," it will take you to the original thread so you can see how I responded to you.

Amit Y Ville wrote:
This forum had a lot of good users back in the day but the cracks are showing
You joined in 2008, as the board was slowing down. The reason for the slowdown? The death of George Lutz.

When George was alive, we could ask him questions. We had a weekly chat and he would sometimes pop in and talk about his experiences with us. The moderators we had at the time were all friends with George and a lot of people came here because they could get in touch with George through this board.

When George died, things just weren't the same. There was no longer an official source that we could go to for answers. So traffic started slowing down. It had already started slowing down when you arrived.

As I've explained before, we're not concerned with the amount of traffic we get. The main thing is that we're here and we provide an open place for people to discuss the topic no matter what their beliefs are. Google has us fully indexed, so we're easy to find. And we have a lot of good information available here regarding the murders and the haunting.

This forum has evolved to be more of a reference place more than anything else. If you just want a place where people chat about a funny Amityville-related dream they had, places like those are all over facebook. Sounds like that would be more your speed. You can go over there and talk about how priests don't get AIDS.

Amit Y Ville wrote:
and this board still has an error when posts are created
Yep. This board has some technical glitches from previous software updates that went awry. And there's always the possibility that the next update might kill it altogether. We'll see. There is an update to the software waiting for us, but I am waiting for this particular board style to update to a compatible version (so I can keep the graphics). Maybe this next update might fix the glitches. Maybe this next update might kill this board for good. I'm not sure what'll happen.

Do these things irritate you? If so, why not leave and start your own board? Yeah. Start your own board where you can ban every member who doesn't believe in the haunting and where you can publish phone numbers and addresses of whomever you desire. You can show us how it should be done -- by example! And I'll be left all alone over here, crying about how I should have listened to your sage advice...

Amit Y Ville wrote:
I'm not rich but would have been happy to help a board in dire need.
Just because this board isn't hopping with activity and doesn't meet the criteria you expect doesn't mean we're in dire need. I've explained to you before why we don't want to go down that route. When we accept money from people, it can create issues.
"Hey, how can you censor me when I gave you all that money last year?!"

"If you don't unban that other user, I'm not going to give you any money anymore."

"I want my posts featured at the top of the page. Remember, I'm the one giving you money."

"I gave you money so I demand to be a moderator."

"You need to ban that person! I gave you money and they didn't!"

We don't want to open that wormhole. I think most people here would understand.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
And when I kindly offered to help this poor forum, with either a few dollars to buy more storage or a later version of phpbb, you reacted with a back-handed rejection and deleted the post afterwards.
I guess my "back-handed rejection" was too vague for you. Hopefully what I wrote above clears it up.

I explained before that we don't need more storage. One of the issues we had in the past was high CPU usage on our server. One of the possible causes (aside from an attempted DOS attack) could be the various bots that visit here and index the board.

Simply put, if the board has less posts, it wouldn't be as big a problem when the bots crawl around and index every single post. So I take steps to deal with that. The latest being having this section (the coffee house section) automatically pruned so that posts over 5 years old get deleted. I've also gone through the DeFeo section and the Photographs section and removed the older posts which didn't go anywhere and which didn't have any useful information or anything interesting to say or those threads which were just flame wars over (mostly) Tracey DeFeo's forum (a lot of back & forth between us for a while).

And eventually I'm going to be doing the same thing for the Haunting section as well.

Also, the phpBB software is free, so we don't need your help there, either. Plus, we're not a "poor forum." We don't need your pity. If we ever need money, we'd probably allow advertisements before we asked for donations.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
...and deleted the post afterwards.
Yeah, the entire thread was deleted. As were all recent posts from the past year, due to an accident with the board.

The majority of posts in the DeFeo section were accidentally deleted and the only way to restore it was to use an old backup of the forum. In doing so, the newer posts (such as the one warning people about older posts being deleted) would, themselves, be deleted.

I could have rewritten that post, but why? It was no longer relevant. I had already explained the situation just as I have (again) right here.

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:39 am
You want to be a moderator here, but you see nothing wrong with certain things such as publishing people's addresses. And when informed that it isn't allowed, you respond with an attack.
If you think pointing out your rudeness (not just to myself) is an attack then it's no wonder you can't take any criticism.
No, the attack I was referring to was your little jab about this board being dead. I already know full well that I can be rude -- I don't consider that an attack. I consider that hypocrisy, because you are often rude to others, yourself.

I can be rude, but I only put that on display when I deal with trolls like Jimmysmokes or ingrates like you. Like I said before, I'm nice to nice people.

So what happened? Let's see. You posted the home address of the priest. Sherb critizied you for it. You didn't apologize or ask "is that not allowed" or anything -- you simply responded by saying that it was public information.

You see? Instead of saying, "Oh, sorry, I won't do that again," you come back with an argument that you were in the right.

Seeing how defiant you were, I asked you to refrain from posting personal information on the board (whether or not their address is in the phone book or not). I did so because you felt you did nothing wrong and I needed to make our position clear so that you would not do it again. I was letting you know that it doesn't matter if you felt it was okay -- we (the board owners) don't want that type of thing on this board.

You didn't respond to my comment. Instead, you made your little attack about the board being dead. Clearly you felt I was attacking you when I asked you to refrain from posting personal info, and you responded with an attack of your own.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
...it's no wonder you can't take any criticism.
I can take criticism. When it's valid.

But what you're posting is deflection.

Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room

Re: Amit Y Deflection

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm on phone so won't be quoting all that.

"Taking over" would not mean being a mod tho, right? Would mean admin. If you're not into the job pass the torch like I said.

The part about George dying makes sense. Thanks.

You misunderstand about the back-handed compliment. You assumed I would be asking for favours in that patronising manner. If I donate ten bucks to you I wouldn't be asking for the world, but whatever you think. You just assumed in a jerkish manner. But at least you admit to being the jerk. Imagine if you donated some dollars to a content creator for example, and he turns round and throws it back in your face because "you'll ask for your profile to get special rights" without previous history of ever doing so. Bit of an insult.

I joined in 2008 but had been active previously on another pseudonym I used. Also had been around Amityville since Kevin W's pages in 1997?

Like I previously said your forum needs updating and seems you're not really bothered about doing anything about it, but this is deflection? Yeah, "OK JO". :lol: enjoy living in your safe space.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:14 pm
I joined in 2008 but had been active previously on another pseudonym I used. Also had been around Amityville since Kevin W's pages in 1997?
Were you also on Ric's board around 2000/1?

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Were you also on Ric's board around 2000/1?
Honestly don't remember which was his board. There were a couple going at the time. There was a board which Scottie Gee used to post on, that was a name I remembered on the one I was posting at. This was around 1998.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 pm
There was a board which Scottie Gee used to post on, that was a name I remembered on the one I was posting at. This was around 1998.
Yeah, that was Ric's first board. I joined in 2000 when he started up his second one. Which name did you post under?

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:33 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 pm
There was a board which Scottie Gee used to post on, that was a name I remembered on the one I was posting at. This was around 1998.
Yeah, that was Ric's first board. I joined in 2000 when he started up his second one. Which name did you post under?
Can't remember, I was a student then so kept changing aliases. However wasn't a frequent poster. I specifically remember another website called AmityTalk which I believe your avatar comes from?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm
I specifically remember another website called AmityTalk which I believe your avatar comes from?
That was Tracey's website, right? I did have an avatar from there but it's not this one. This comes from a still from the 2005 remake.

Wallace
Amityville Member

Post by Wallace » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 pm

I hate to go off the subject here, but you guys are giving me a case of nostalgia. Does anybody remember Johnny Rocket's No Hoax Page? It was not only the first Amityville forum that I visited, but it was the first internet forum that I visited back in 1998. It was also on that same forum that I was exposed to internet trolls and grammar Nazis. I also remember Ric Osuna's earlier forum as well Mike Falletti's web site, which he created when he was only fourteen. Then there was that nut job who would take pictures of the house and claim that there were demons and spirits in those pictures. I always wondered what happened to that wacko.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
"Taking over" would not mean being a mod tho, right?
Nope. It's even more drastic than asking to be a mod. I explained above why I phrased it that way.

Amit Y Ville wrote:
If I donate ten bucks to you I wouldn't be asking for the world, but whatever you think.
See, I read that line and it comes across to me as "you'll ask for something, but not the world."
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Imagine if you donated some dollars to a content creator for example, and he turns round and throws it back in your face because "you'll ask for your profile to get special rights" without previous history of ever doing so. Bit of an insult.
You can view it as an insult, or you can take a good look at your behavior and ask yourself why I would assume as much from you.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Like I previously said your forum needs updating and seems you're not really bothered about doing anything about it, but this is deflection?
I just explained to you in my previous post, in detail, what's going on with the upgrade. Maybe you should spend more time reading and less time trying to score points.

The deflection, dear boy, is me asking you to refrain from posting personal information, and you responding with "but your board needs fixing."

And you're doing it again. You've made 3 posts since my last one, and nowhere have you touched upon or even acknowledged our request not to post personal information. Instead, you continue to whine about issues that I have already explained to you. And that's deflection.
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wow. You were a member of so many different Amityville-related forums since 1997! That's 23 years of you spending time on various Amityville boards!

And yet you only just now figured out that Father Ray was dead... :fp:
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm
sherbetbizarre wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:33 pm
Which name did you post under?
Can't remember, I was a student then so kept changing aliases.
Was "Hardee" one of your sock puppet accounts here? I see you shared an IP address with him. I also notice that "Hardee" stopped posting 2 months before "Amit Y Ville" started posting.

And if you were here prior to 2008, why did you start your first post (as "Amit Y Ville" in 2008) with the words, "Hi all. First post."??? Were you trying to fool people into thinking you were someone new? Why?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 am

Wallace wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 pm
Does anybody remember Johnny Rocket's No Hoax Page? It was not only the first Amityville forum that I visited, but it was the first internet forum that I visited back in 1998.
Before my time, but I remember George mentioning it once. Maybe he used to read it.

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 am

Dan the Damned wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Nope. It's even more drastic than asking to be a mod. I explained above why I phrased it that way.
Exactly, and the situation is quite drastic do you not think, a new admin would have turned this place around. I would like to have seen Sherb in charge. I've never seen so many issues with a forum.

See, I read that line and it comes across to me as "you'll ask for something, but not the world."
Whatever you say man!

You can view it as an insult, or you can take a good look at your behavior and ask yourself why I would assume as much from you.
Dan talking like a teacher.
The deflection, dear boy, is me asking you to refrain from posting personal information, and you responding with "but your board needs fixing."
I will send you flowers in the post. Interesting that you take zero responsibility for how much this forum was neglected and blamed bugs without any forward thinking. You changed the colours around a bit a few years back.
Was "Hardee" one of your sock puppet accounts here? I see you shared an IP address with him. I also notice that "Hardee" stopped posting 2 months before "Amit Y Ville" started posting.
I remember changing username as I didn't like the pseudonym I registered with originally. Good job that you are checking IP's by the way, will you be doxing other members of the forum who are actively using sock accounts today to back up their posts then? :love:
And if you were here prior to 2008, why did you start your first post (as "Amit Y Ville" in 2008) with the words, "Hi all. First post."??? Were you trying to fool people into thinking you were someone new? Why?
It's a first post on a new account. Did you expect an entrance video? :lol:

In closing good job I don't take this personally and will continue to enjoy this forum despite its drawbacks and your attitude. Have a good day!

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:24 am

Wallace wrote:
I hate to go off the subject here, but you guys are giving me a case of nostalgia. Does anybody remember Johnny Rocket's No Hoax Page? It was not only the first Amityville forum that I visited, but it was the first internet forum that I visited back in 1998. It was also on that same forum that I was exposed to internet trolls and grammar Nazis. I also remember Ric Osuna's earlier forum as well Mike Falletti's web site, which he created when he was only fourteen. Then there was that nut job who would take pictures of the house and claim that there were demons and spirits in those pictures. I always wondered what happened to that wacko.
Don't remember Johnny Rocket. The last wacko to take pics of the house with demons was Amitytalk that I mentioned previously.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 am
Dan the Damned wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 pm
Was "Hardee" one of your sock puppet accounts here?
I remember changing username as I didn't like the pseudonym I registered with originally.
It's a first post on a new account. Did you expect an entrance video? :lol:
If someone had an account here already, but then created a new one "just to get a new username," I think most people would post something like, "Hey, this is Hardee, I just created this new account because I didn't like that username. And this new name, Amit Y Ville, is just so fresh and new and witty, who can help but love it?"

No. Aside from "Amit Y Ville" being one of the stupidest screen names I've seen to date, the only reason someone creates a 2nd account and then claims that it was their first post is if their intention was to fool people into thinking that they are someone brand new to the board (which you have admitted wasn't the case).

And for someone to be as obsessed over Amityville as you claim to be, and to have been frequenting numerous Amityville-related boards for over two decades, and to STILL not know extremely basic facts about the case (such as Father Ray being dead) -- that also tells me that you are full of crap and are merely trying to fool people into thinking you are someone else.

I mean which is it? You are either playing games, like jimmysmokes, or you are incredibly stupid.

In any case, I recognize that I have been rude to you in this current exchange, but I also recognize that this is because you have been rude to me. And for that I'm going to ban you for one month. Perhaps during that time you will have found another hobby. Maybe spend less time on the computer and help your wife out more with your new baby once in a while...

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Wallace wrote:
I hate to go off the subject here, but you guys are giving me a case of nostalgia. Does anybody remember Johnny Rocket's No Hoax Page?
http://amityvillehorror.tripod.com

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:04 pm

That page created 23 years ago, last updated 21 years ago.

I feel old.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Wallace
Amityville Member

Post by Wallace » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Brendan72 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:04 pm
That page created 23 years ago, last updated 21 years ago.

I feel old.
Yeah I know the feeling. It brings me back to the days when the internet was new to me. That forum was where I actually interacted with people on the internet for the first time. I remember this jerk who posted under the name of Carte, who claimed that he was an ex-college professor who couldn't stand it when people misspelled words on the forum. I was constantly the pun of his jokes, since I wasn't the best speller. Of course I made the dumb mistake of feeding that troll by arguing with him. It was also the place where I met Mike Reilly, who I didn't always agree with, but he at least wasn't jerk about our disagreements. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to see through Osuna's nonsense. It never seizes to amaze me that even intelligent and skeptical minded people like Mike Reilly are still able to get suckered into such ridiculous ploys.