Value of the house in 1976

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Value of the house in 1976

Post by msmart112 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:36 pm

In the Amityville Horror...Jay Anson wrote that the house had been on the market for almost a year when the Lutzes first saw it...and that the asking price was $80,000.

From an interview that George gave to Jeff Belanger in 2005/2006...George said that the house was listed at $90,000...and that he and Kathy made an offer for $80,000 which was accepted.

In the spring of 1977...Barbara and Jim Cromarty bought the house from the bank for $55,000.

If the Lutzes had decided to sell the house after they left in early 1976...how much money do you think they would have been offered from a buyer?

It's impossible to know for sure...I'm just curious what people here think.

believer
Amityville Member

Re: Value of the house in 1976

Post by believer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:54 pm

msmart112 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:36 pm
If the Lutzes had decided to sell the house after they left in early 1976...how much money do you think they would have been offered from a buyer?

It's impossible to know for sure...I'm just curious what people here think.
That's a tough one.

Since the murders, the house has always sold well below the asking price. And in early '76, the murders were still fresh in townspeople's minds, and with the publicity that the Lutz's attracted, it was probably like reopening a wound for a large part of Long Island and NYC. The house was on the market for thirteen months when the Lutz's moved in. The other speculative question would be, 'how long would it have remained vacant if the Lutz's hadn't purchased it?'

My guess would be that they would be lucky if they had gotten $40,000 for it. Recent murders and alleged haunting? Believers or not, most people don't want to even take that chance.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: Value of the house in 1976

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Then again, if they were going to sell it, I don't think they'd divulge anything about the haunting.

Though George said that's why they didn't want to resell the house (that he didn't want to feel responsible if something happened to the subsequent owners).

So I would imagine that it would sell for roughly the same amount as the Lutzes paid. Maybe less if they were in a hurry to sell, or maybe more if they were more patient (and didn't let-on about the ghosties).

Although any new buyer might wonder why they wanted to sell so soon after moving-in. They might suspect that something in the house needed an expensive repair or something.