Exaggerations or False information in the book.

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Exaggerations or False information in the book.

Postby Victoria Principles » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:58 am

OK, We have picked apart the horrible remake a couple of times. Now what part of Jay Anson's book was inaccurate?

I know that blood never oozed from the wall as it did in the book. George admitted that on the Art Bell 2002 interview.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:58 am

Here is a post from our old board, which fortunately I saved. I believe this post was made by Scottie Gee. This doesn't totally address your question (which is about the exaggerations in the book, such as the slime), but it addresses a similar issue, which is that there supposedly have been hundreds of changes in Anson's book from one edition to the other (a claim Stephen Kaplan has made, and which his widow, Roxanne Kaplan continues to make, as shown in the History's Mysteries documentary):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want, you could bring up how George originally lied about taking his son to Brunswick Hospital in Amityville when the window at the house allegedly smashed his hand. Stephen cornered him on a radio show about that; we had checked with the hospital and there was no record of the boy having been treated there. So George admitted on the air that, OK, yeah, we took him to a doctor, not the hospital. So Stephen said, OK, what's the name of the doctor, I'll call him and check, and then George said, well, we really didn't bring him to the doctor, actually we bandaged it at home.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(LOL!) SORRY, ROXANNE & DEKE ... BUT THAT INTERVIEW NEVER HAPPENED! GEORGE LUTZ HAS NEVER APPEARED, OR CALLED IN ON ANY RADIO SHOW WITH STEPHEN KAPLAN. I HAVE SEVERAL ARCHIVED RADIO SHOWS OF JOEL MARTIN'S WHERE KAPLAN APPEARS, (BOTH BY HIMSELF, AND WITH THE WARRENS) BETWEEN 1977 & 79, AND IN SEVERAL OF THOSE SHOWS, KAPLAN STATES THAT HE HAS NOT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO INTERVIEW LUTZ, "BECAUSE HE'S HIDING OUT IN CALIFORNIA." THE ONLY CONTACT THAT KAPLAN AND LUTZ EVER HAD WITH ONE ANOTHER, WERE THOSE TWO SHORT PHONE CONVERSATIONS IN LATE FEBRUARY, 1976.

I'M NOT SURE WHETHER OR NOT THIS QUOTE ACTUALLY CAME FROM MRS. KAPLAN, HOWEVER, IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME THAT SHE IRRESPONSIBLY MADE INACCURATE STATEMENTS, OR CLAIMS OF EVENTS THAT NEVER TOOK PLACE.

ON OUR SHOW, SHE STATED THAT "THE STAR" TABLOID HAD SET UP THE POLYGRAPH EXAMINATIONS TAKEN BY THE LUTZES, WHEN IN FACT, "THE STAR" HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE EXAMINATIONS. WHILE SHE MERELY MADE THE CLAIM WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE TO BACK IT UP ... THE LUTZES PROVIDED PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE TESTS, ALONG WITH THE DOCUMENTATION FROM THE EXAMINERS, WHICH CONTAINED THE QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND RESULTS. THOSE EXAMINATIONS WERE SET UP BY A.I.P. AND ADMINISTERED BY CHRIS GUGAS AND MICHAEL RICE, WHO WERE EXPERTS IN THE FIELD.

SHE THEN WENT ON TO CLAIM THAT THERE WERE "HUNDREDS, HUNDREDS, AND HUNDREDS OF CHANGES MADE FROM THE FIRST EDITION HARDCOVER BOOK, TO THE PAPERBACK." EVEN THOUGH SHE PROVIDED ONE OF THOSE CHANGES, HER ESTIMATION OF HOW MANY OTHERS THERE WERE, WAS A MERE FRACTION OF ONE HUNDRED, MUCH LESS SEVERAL.

BELOW IS AN EXCERPT FROM A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE.

L.I. Magazine. September 17,1978
"Between the Covers, Some Changes"

In July, 1978, Bantam Books published a paperback edition of "The Amityville Horror." The demand at bookstores was so great that by Aug. 15, Bantam had ordered an eighth printing.
By that date, according to Diane Perlberg, (a publicity representative for Bantam) 2,750,000 copies were printed and "we?ve been back to press for over a million more."
Complete reversals of fact have been edited into the book since its early hardcover printings. Perlberg said the paperback is a word-for-word duplicate of the 14th printing of the Prentice-Hall hardcover.

THE ABOVE ARTICLE ONLY LISTED 5 CHANGES FROM THE EARLY HARDCOVER EDITION, TO PAPERBACK. SOME YEARS AGO, (AS PART OF MY RESEARCH) I DID A COMPARISON BETWEEN:
1st, 7th & 10th PRINTING HARDCOVER EDITIONS
4th & 85th PRINTING PAPERBACK EDITIONS.
ALTHOUGH THERE DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE ANY CHANGES BETWEEN THE TWO PAPERBACK EDITIONS, THERE WERE SOME CHANGES BETWEEN THE 1st - 7th HARDCOVER EDITIONS. THEY ARE ALL NOTED BELOW.

In early hardcover editions, photos of George and Kathy Lutz appear between the Preface and Prologue.
In later hardcover editions, the same photos appear left to the title page.
In the paperback edition, they don't appear at all.

The disclaimer appearing after the title page in the first hardcover edition reads:
"The names of several individuals mentioned in this book have been changed to protect their privacy. However, all facts and events, as far as we have been able to verify them, are strictly accurate."
The seventh hardcover printing reads:
"The names of several individuals mentioned in this book have been changed to protect their privacy."
In the paperback edition, the disclaimer reads:
"The names and some identifying details of several individuals mentioned in this book have been changed to protect their privacy."

Page 9 of the hardcover is the diagram of the first floor, showing a "window" on the north wall of the dining room.
Page 11 of the paperback calls it out as a "door."

Page 10 of the hardcover is the diagram of the second floor, showing the "sewing room" at the northeast corner of the house and "Missy's room" at the northwest corner.
Page 12 of the paperback has the two reversed.

Page 11 of the hardcover is the diagram of the third floor, showing the north room as "Danny and Chris's room" and the south room as the "playroom."
Page 13 of the paperback has the two reversed.

6 & 7
Page 17 of the first edition hardcover reads:
"The Lutzes' driveway was so cluttered that he had to park his old tan Ford on the street."
In later hardcover editions, the car is changed to an:
"old blue Vega."
Page 26 of the paperback reverts back to an:
"old tan Ford."
The Father's vehicle is mentioned again on page 19 hardcover and page 26 paperback remaining consistent throughout subsequent printings.
(counts as two changes)

Page 45 of the hardcover reads:
"Cammaroto, this is Al. You can call North Merrick back and tell them the people in 112 Ocean Avenue are home. Sergeant Al Gionfriddo of the Amityville Police Department was on duty this Christmas Eve, just as he had been the night of the DeFeo family massacre."
Page 65 of the paperback reads:
"Zammataro, this is Gionfriddo. You can call your friend back and tell them the people in 112 Ocean Avenue are home. Sergeant Al Gionfriddo of the Suffolk County Police Department was doing a job this Christmas Eve, just as he had been the night of the DeFeo family massacre."

Page 82 of the hardcover reads:
"There was no logical or scientific explanation for Father Frank Mancuso as he prepared to go to bed. He had just prayed at his own altar in his room, searching and hoping for an answer to the reason his palms were beginning to bleed."
Page 117 of the paperback reads:
"There was no logical or scientific explanation for Father Frank Mancuso as he prepared to go to bed. He had just prayed in his own room, searching and hoping for an answer to the question of why his palms were itching so terribly."

Page 85 in the hardcover reads:
"All that morning, Father Mancuso had been looking at his hands. His palms, which had begun to bleed the night before, were now dry, but angry red blisters remained."
Page 123 in the paperback reads:
"All that morning, Father Mancuso had been looking at his hands, which had begun to fester the night before. They were now dry, but angry red blisters remained."

Page 111 of the hardcover reads:
"The Pastor turned on Father Mancuso, and their comradeship was irrevocably destroyed."
Page 160 of the paperback reads:
"Father Mancuso turned on the Pastor, and their comradeship was irrevocably destroyed."

Page 117 of the hardcover reads:
"Father Mancuso was also watching the new day break from his mothers home in Queens."
Page 168 of the paperback reads:
"Father Mancuso was also watching the new day break from his mothers home in Nassau."

THESE WERE THE ONLY CHANGES THAT I COULD FIND THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE BOOK. NOT QUITE HUNDREDS, BUT MERELY 12. GRANTED, MRS. KAPLAN MAY NOT BE AS KNOWLEDGEABLE AS HER HUSBAND WAS ABOUT CERTAIN DETAILS, BUT THAT DOESN'T EXCUSE THE COMPLETELY FABRICATED CLAIMS SHE HAS MADE.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS FOUND ANY CHANGES THAT I MAY HAVE MISSED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD THEM TO MY LIST.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby sudsybunny » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:03 am

Well, you ain't gonna get no information now a days from the hospital or doctor's thanks to HIPPA LOL!
HIPPA is driving me nuts at work LOL!
angi
Dogs have owners,
Cats have employees!
God hears Amen wherever we are
sudsybunny
Simming As Usual

Postby Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:10 pm

This is a good topic, though. I'd like to see a list of where Anson embellished things, or maybe combined characters, or maybe just got things wrong. I think the main thing, as you mentioned, was the oozing slime.

Another was the hospital visit when Dan got his hand smashed in the window. The book has them going to the hospital, but George states that Dan's hand was fine again just as they were about to leave for the hospital. Almost like the house didn't want the family to leave.

I'll bookmark this thread, and if/when I think of any more, I'll add 'em here... I'm sure Toukee prolly has a bunch in mind.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re:

Postby DC Fan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:29 am

Dan the Damned wrote:This is a good topic, though. I'd like to see a list of where Anson embellished things, or maybe combined characters, or maybe just got things wrong.

I'm interested in such a list too. I'll add a couple things.

Jeff from work and his medium girlfriend Francine must have been a fiction. When George tells the story in interviews of the employee who called him one day out of the blue saying he was also told to leave the house by a voice, George mentions that he had not been discussing events in the house with anyone at the office.

Also George stated that the number of flies, along with the slime, had been overstated.

I also suspect that there was no repairman called to fix broken windows but I'm a little fuzzy on that one. Does anyone recall what evidence might exist that it did not happen or who claimed that no such person visited the house?
DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Re: Exaggerations or False information in the book.

Postby Victoria Principles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:08 am

But didn't Danny say that the window did slam on his hand and that he did go to the hospital in the My Amityville Horror documentary?
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Re: Exaggerations or False information in the book.

Postby FrogPants » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 am

There are discrepancies in the book, it's a book. However I find the Lutz's discrepancies more interesting than what Jay Anson wrote himself. William Weber stated that one day when he was in court dealing with his legal proceedings with the Lutz's that he saw a letter written by the Prentice Hall editor addressed to Jay Anson stating something along the lines that the Lutz's better get their story straight because they have a tour planned for them.
FrogPants
Amityville Member

Return to Amityville Discussion