Is it Real? Hauntings

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Is it Real? Hauntings

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:36 am

Dan listed this in TV Alerts, so did anyone see it?

Repeats tomorrow:

Is it Real? Hauntings

Monday, November 20, 2006, at 4pm & 7pm & 2am on the National Geographic Channel

Are Hauntings real or just a hoax? Since the beginning of time, people have believed in the dead returning from the grave to haunt the living. Join NGC for an intriguing investigation, at the crossroads of science and the supernatural, into the frightening world of ghosts, poltergeists and demonic possession.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ET/daily/20061120.html
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby OldSoul70 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:15 am

The show was pretty cool. Ill wait though till everyone sees it to get into details
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby Howard64 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:03 pm

i dont think we get that channel:(
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby OldSoul70 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:12 pm

You prob tried it, but go to that link and then type in your zipcode to see if you get the channel in your area.
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby Howard64 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:28 pm

well we dont get it...so ill have to wait and see what folks say about it.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby TigresMeow » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:28 pm

I watched it tonite. I am not going to comment on it until more people see it.

All I will say is Ric Osuna's mole is dividing. . . . :lol:
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"
TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk

Postby OldSoul70 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Hahahaha I cannot stand that guy.
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 pm

This show (or rather, this episode) claimed at the end to leave the question of "are hauntings real" to the viewer, but spent most of its time trying to find natural explanations for possible supernatural occurences.

Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely seemed to slanted towards the skeptical side of things.

Concerning Amityville, basically the Amityville Horror was the center of this episode. They also briefly explored a haunted music club and a haunted castle, but they kept coming back to Amityville. In my opinion, they wasted a lot of time with things that had little or no value (watching a couple spend the night in a haunted castle, where a whole lot of nothing happens around them).

There was also a lot of misinformation concerning the Amity case (they claimed slime really oozed from the walls; they claimed the toilets oozed black tar; and they claimed the family fled in the middle of the night)...

Just another show which will lead people to believe it was all a hoax. If I never stumbled across this board, I might very well believe the same. I can't blame people for thinking it was a hoax after watching crap like this... :roll:
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby OldSoul70 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:30 am

Dan the Damned wrote:This show (or rather, this episode) claimed at the end to leave the question of "are hauntings real" to the viewer, but spent most of its time trying to find natural explanations for possible supernatural occurences.

Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely seemed to slanted towards the skeptical side of things.

Concerning Amityville, basically the Amityville Horror was the center of this episode. They also briefly explored a haunted music club and a haunted castle, but they kept coming back to Amityville. In my opinion, they wasted a lot of time with things that had little or no value (watching a couple spend the night in a haunted castle, where a whole lot of nothing happens around them).

There was also a lot of misinformation concerning the Amity case (they claimed slime really oozed from the walls; they claimed the toilets oozed black tar; and they claimed the family fled in the middle of the night)...

Just another show which will lead people to believe it was all a hoax. If I never stumbled across this board, I might very well believe the same. I can't blame people for thinking it was a hoax after watching crap like this... :roll:

I was dissapointed when it came to them telling the story, but I was glad to see some nice shots of the inside of the house. They had almost a 360 of dawns room and we also got to see ronnies room. Also I didnt know that the Lutz's were the ones to add the door in the kitchen.
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 pm

Yeah, that's the only good thing about some of these shows - that they sometimes have rare footage and stuff.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Brendan72 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:22 am

I think there are three groups of people who believe it is a hoax:

1. Those who are ignorant and have the intelligence of a squashed gnat;
2. Those who once believed and who after a flip-flop transition are in a state of denial due to greed or bruised ego;
3. Those who wished it was a hoax.

I slot George into the third category, only because of what he said on the History's Mysteries documentary: "I wish it was a hoax ... it's not!".

When I first heard him say that it impressed upon me just how real this still was to him at the time and even until his death. After all I have learned on the case I can understand why he said it.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby KevinW » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:37 am

Brendan72 wrote:I think there are three groups of people who believe it is a hoax:

1. Those who are ignorant and have the intelligence of a squashed gnat;
2. Those who once believed and who after a flip-flop transition are in a state of denial due to greed or bruised ego;
3. Those who wished it was a hoax.

Sounds like there should be a fourth category.

Kevin
http://chatanuga.org
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby Brendan72 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Hi KevinW,

What would the fourth category be?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby KevinW » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:35 am

Those of us who have weighed everything presented in front of us and do not believe the case was a true story.

Afterall, I'm not "ignorant and have the intelligence of a squashed gnat". I'm not in "denial". And I wanted it to be real.

Kevin
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby sherbetbizarre » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:58 am

Kevin, didn't any of the documentaries in the last 6 years with the Lutzes change your mind even slightly?
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby KevinW » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:45 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Kevin, didn't any of the documentaries in the last 6 years with the Lutzes change your mind even slightly?

No, they didn't. If anything, they strengthened my belief that it was anything but a true story.

Kevin
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 am

I can understand that. A lot of it is taking people at their word. For instance, do you believe the Lutz family, or do you believe William Weber (when he said he "helped make up the story")?

The only real thing you can do in that case is to examine other statements both parties have made, and other actions they've made in their lives, and see which party is more honest and/or believable. And you really can't get that from these documentaries alone.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby TIA » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:41 pm

I think you can be sceptical of the Amityville horror without believing it was a hoax that the Lutzes planned from the outset and executed. Sometimes discussion seems to revolve around the Lutzes v. the Kaplans. Those arn't the only possibilities, I think.
(I'm hampered here, because I've yet to get hold of a copy of Kaplan's book, but my impression from what people have said and bits from the book I've seen is that he accused the Lutzes of setting out to create a hoax).

And I'm with Kevin, you don't have to be stupid, or ignorant to come to a different conclusion looking at the same material. Your world view, your interpretation, your personal level of evidence needed etc. will inform on what conclusions you draw.

(Though Brendan, I think I know who you're referring to with number two, and our opinions on him are probably identical :D ).
Occam's razor is lodged in my brain. Ouch.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:51 pm

TIA wrote:I think you can be sceptical of the Amityville horror without believing it was a hoax...

One example could be someone who doesn't believe in ghosts in the first place.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby TIA » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
TIA wrote:I think you can be sceptical of the Amityville horror without believing it was a hoax...

One example could be someone who doesn't believe in ghosts in the first place.

Exactly. I'd need pretty substantial evidence to believe something paranormal happened. George and Kathy Lutz were always up front about not having that. At which point it comes down to belief.

But I've also never got the impression they were lying (and how could I tell that?) or seen anything concrete pointing to a hoax. Which is how I come down to 'I don't know'.
Occam's razor is lodged in my brain. Ouch.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:03 pm

Yes. My own belief in the existence of ghosts has flip-flopped many a time (same with religion). But for whatever reasons, I still believe the Lutzes were being honest. I remember some old thread in this section in which I tried listing all the various reasons that caused me to believe the Lutzes. If I come across it I'll link to it. No proof of a haunting - just things that "didn't make sense to me" if they were lying...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Next

Return to Amityville Discussion