Hans Holzer RIP 1920 - 2009

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Blaine112
Amityville Member

Hans Holzer RIP 1920 - 2009

Post by Blaine112 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:33 am

From my good friend Alexandra Holzer (Hans' daughter) who informed me of her Father's passing on April 26, 2009. Whether you agreed with Hans and his beliefs on the Amityville Horror story or not, you had to respect the man for being one of the true "Forefathers" of the Amityville story. Rest in Peace Dr. Holzer.

From Alexandra:

Professor, Parapsychologist, Writer, Humanitarian, Vegan, Spiritualist, Friend, Mentor, Son, Brother, Father, Grandfather and Spouse-Author, Dr. Hans Holzer.

If anyone knew and could grasp the concept of what death really was, it was my
father Professor (as he liked to be called) Dr. Hans Holzer.

What can I say that already has not been publicized throughout six-decades via
the media, television, lectures, radio, film and literary libraries brimming to it's
shelf edges on a grand field covering so many topics. He even wrote a book on
poetry, plants that he felt actually 'felt' and so on. He's been around so long that
many of his book publishers don't even exist anymore and the ghosts have run
into him on several occasions! One could say he probably met the same ones a
few too many times having quite the conversation. Yeah, he's been around the
paranormal block a few times I'd say. ;-)

A lover of all things of the living and of the dead with layers in-between to the
unknown, my father was the pinnacle of a foundation that later on caught
attention yet again with new technologies at our disposal, furthermore propelling
the future of the field via popular cable shows, continued interest for
documentaries and internet radio surges.

Honestly, I can go on but that's why I wrote Growing up Haunted and why father wrote all that he did. It's very easy in this day and age to google him, pick up a book or two and familiarize yourselves if not already as to who he was to a growing field, still leaving us with many unanswered questions into the abyss of what is called the unknown. More importantly, he had a wit about him that could go unmatched as his uncanny ability to work over any room with any persona perhaps will not be experienced in my lifetime. Father came from a time and place (some say another planet) that today's generations cannot relate to or comprehend. It is this back-story that cemented his ideals and future visions to unlock some of life's mysteries without disrespecting or competing in-order to obtain results and anything else that came with the para-territory. He was the real deal and will be a hard act to follow.

Although not perfect as no human being is, he had his downfalls and 'issues' but that's what made him the real mackoy. He didn't really pay attention to the James Randi's of the world as he stuck to his faith and systems that never failed him. So much so I have in turn adapted many of his techniques not because he's my father but because they really are genuine to what being in this field is all about. He carried a plate full of persona's covering a gambit of ways to express and serve the paranormal and literary communities from around the globe, as he became a beacon of hope for many internationally. He was never one to have managers or agents as he'd say, "What's the point? I do it myself!" He just gang-busted his way through the years learning and discovering himself teaching others around him at all ages. Yes, he did prefer the 'younger' ladies and many of them ended up on his 'doctors' couch in his office lair to be taught mediumship. I often wondered about that technique. ;-)

Look, Elvis Presley was a fan of my father's owning several of his books and when I found out I was floored but yet at the same moment, understood why. If you get 'it' in your lifetime about what and why were here then someone like a Dr. Hans Holzer is a person you'd follow, respect and admire.

Holzer retired in 2008. He resided and passed peacefully in his Manhattan home of which he lived half of his remaining life. He loved Manhattan. It certainly was one of many 'apples' in his eye.

Services and a big to-do was not what he wanted and so having said that, what we are doing will be at a disclosed location for private family members only. If you want to contribute in some way to his life then please buy one of his books and have a good read.

Thank you.

I will now leave you with some quotes from the good Doctor and let you read his biography.

"There are two ways of doing things. There's the highway and MY way!"

"I never met a ghost I didn't like!"

"Some ghosts were my best friends."

In Love and Light To Everyone,
-Alexandra Holzer
Blaine Duncan

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2851/bannermessageboardib0.jpg[/img][/url]

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am

Wow...

Its sad to hear of anyone passing on.
My condolences to those close to him.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Post by Link the Labrador » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:51 am

He was the guy who wrote the origonal "The Amityville Horror", wasn't he?

R.I.P. Dr. Holzer. :(

Eric Walter
Independent Artist

Post by Eric Walter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 am

Rest in peace, Dr. Holzer.
"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Baruch Spinoza

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks, Blaine.

Very sad to here this.

R.I.P.

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:35 am

Link the Labrador wrote:He was the guy who wrote the origonal "The Amityville Horror", wasn't he?

You are thinking of Jay Anson...
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

littlemissme
I hate clutter...

Post by littlemissme » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 am

R.I.P. Dr Holzer.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 am

Wow. What a shock. I guess death is always a shock.

Sincerest heartfelt condolences to Alexandra and the rest of Holzer's family and friends. The death of a parent is always devastating. :cry:

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Very sad news. Dr. Holzer will be missed.
Last edited by Jetstar3D on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Post by Link the Labrador » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Howard64 wrote:
Link the Labrador wrote:He was the guy who wrote the origonal "The Amityville Horror", wasn't he?

You are thinking of Jay Anson...
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up, Howard.

R.I.P. Holzer. You'll be in my thoughts. :(

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 pm

RIP Mr. Holzer.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm very shocked and saddened by the loss of Dr. Hans Holzer. His books were interesting and gave good advise to future ghost hunters. R.I.P Dr. Hans Holzer.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear this....

My condolences to Mr. Holzer's family during this tough time.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Press Release

Amityville Ghostbuster Hans Holzer dies Sunday aged 89.

Hans Hozer, known as the Father of the Paranormal, died Sunday at his Manhattan home after a long illness

Dr. Hans Holzer, PhD, authored over 145 titles including Murder At Amityville, which was the basis for the 1982 film Amityville II: The Possession.

Having earned his PhD from the London College of Applied Science, he spent over five decades traveling the world to obtain first hand accounts of paranormal experiences, interviewing expert researchers, and developing
parapsychological protocols and terminology such as ’sensitive’ and ‘beings of light.

Holzer had hundreds of national and regional talk show appearances, co-hosting/hosting programs such as Ghost Hunter on Boston’s Channel 2, NBC’s In Search Of with Leonard Nemoy (an Alan Landsburg productions), Murder in Amityville, Beyond The Five Senses in Louisville, KY, Explorations with Brownville Productions in Ohio, Radio including a continuous segment with New York City’s WOR with famed radio personality Joe Franklin who still is a family friend.

COUNTRY HAM
Amityville Addict

Post by COUNTRY HAM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:46 pm

R.I.P. Hons Holzer.
"HOT DAMN! I'm a COUNTRY HAM!"

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:57 am

It's sad to hear Dr. Holzer's passing. I may not have always agreed with his views on Amityville, but at least he wasn't full of himself, conceited or arrogant, and at least he spoke from experience on the subject.

He did have a good life and more than likely passed fulfilled at having lived a quality life. That's all than any of us would hope to achieve. He did what he loved doing and was a believer - which is something that helps to go a long way for a person passionate in what they believe in.

Rest in peace, Dr Holzer.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:35 am

I was just watching his interview with Marvin Scott on YouTube. Eighty-nine, long life. Man, God Bless.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am

The New York Times...
Hans Holzer, Ghost Hunter, Dies at 89
Published: April 29, 2009

Hans Holzer, whose investigations into the paranormal took him to haunted houses all over the world, most notably the Long Island house that inspired “The Amityville Horror,” died on Sunday at his home in Manhattan. He was 89.

The death was confirmed by his daughter Alexandra Holzer.

Mr. Holzer — who wrote more than 140 books on ghosts, the afterlife, witchcraft, extraterrestrial beings and other phenomena associated with the realm he called “the other side” — carried out his most famous investigation with the medium Ethel Johnson-Meyers in 1977. Together they roamed the house in Amityville, in which a young man, Ronald DeFeo Jr., had murdered his parents and four siblings in 1974.

The house had become notorious after its next owners claimed to have been tormented by a series of spine-chilling noises and eerie visitations, set forth in the best-selling 1977 book “The Amityville Horror: A True Story,” written by Jay Anson.

After Ms. Johnson-Meyers channeled the spirit of a Shinnecock Indian chief, who said that the house stood on an ancient Indian burial ground, Mr. Holzer took photographs of bullet holes from the 1974 murders in which mysterious halos appeared.

Mr. Holzer went on to write a nonfiction book about the house, “Murder in Amityville” (1979), which formed the basis for the 1982 film “Amityville II: The Possession”; he also wrote two novels, “The Amityville Curse” (1981) and “The Secret of Amityville” (1985).

Hans Holzer was born in Vienna and developed an interest in the supernatural when his uncle Henry told him stories about ghosts and fairies. He studied archaeology, ancient history and numismatics at the University of Vienna but left Austria for New York with his family in 1938, just before the Nazi takeover.

After studying Japanese at Columbia University, Mr. Holzer indulged an infatuation with the theater in the 1950s. He wrote sketches for the short-lived revue “Safari!” and the book and music for “Hotel Excelsior,” about a group of young Americans in Paris, which opened in Provincetown, Mass., and proceeded no farther. He also wrote theater reviews for The London Sporting Review.

He earned a master’s degree in comparative religion and a doctorate in parapsychology at the London College of Applied Science. He went on to teach parapsychology at the New York Institute of Technology.

In 1962 he married the Countess Catherine Genevieve Buxhoeveden. The marriage ended in divorce. In addition to his daughter Alexandra, of Chester, N.Y., he is survived by another daughter, Nadine Widener of Manhattan, and five grandchildren.

In pursuit of ghosts, Mr. Holzer began investigating haunted houses and recording the testimony of subjects who believed that they had had paranormal experiences. This field research, usually conducted with a medium and a Polaroid camera, provided the material for dozens of books, beginning with “Ghost Hunter” (1963).

Mr. Holzer called himself “a scientific investigator of the paranormal.” He disliked the word “supernatural,” since it implied phenomena beyond the reach of science, and did not believe in the word “belief,” which suggests an irrational adherence to ideas not supported by fact. Nevertheless, he held in contempt electronic gadgetry for detecting cold spots, magnetic anomalies and the like, preferring direct communication through a medium.

He did believe in reincarnation and past lives (he vividly recalled the Battle of Glencoe in 1692 in one of his Scottish lifetimes) and was a Wiccan high priest, as well as a vegan.

He felt completely at ease with ghosts. “In all my years of ghost hunting I have never been afraid,” he told Leonard Nimoy on the television series “In Search Of” (for which he was a consultant). “After all, a ghost is only a fellow human being in trouble.” Specifically, a human who has died in traumatic circumstances, does not realize he or she is dead and is, as he told the Web site OfSpirit.com in 2003, “confused as to their real status.”

His continuing ghost quest yielded books like “Ghosts I’ve Met” (1965), “Yankee Ghosts” (1966), “The Great British Ghost Hunt” (1975) and “Hans Holzer’s Travel Guide to Haunted Houses “ (1998). But he had a wide-ranging interest in paranormal phenomena and the occult, reflected in books as varied as “Beyond Medicine” (1973), “Inside Witchcraft” (1980) and “Love Beyond the Grave” (1992).

Mr. Holzer saw life on the other side in sharp detail. As he described it to the Web site ghostvillage.com in 2005, it is strangely like this side, and bureaucratic to boot. The dead who become restless and wish to return to Earth for another go-round must fall in line and register with a clerk.

» A version of this article appeared in print on April 30, 2009, on page B13 of the New York edition.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/books ... 2&emc=eta1

fairlyodd_58
Earthbender

Post by fairlyodd_58 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm

R.I.P. Dr. Holzer

GoonieNick
Amityville Addict

Post by GoonieNick » Sat May 02, 2009 11:56 am

Sad to hear that one of the greatest paranormal figures has passed on. Holzer had a great influence which made me want to learn more about the Amityville Case, in either direction being the paranormal/haunting/hoax branch, as well as the legal forensic/court history.

R.I.P

GoonieNick
Amityville Addict

Post by GoonieNick » Sat May 02, 2009 12:02 pm

I was thinking several weeks ago that while Holzer was up in his years, that soon there would be not too many key individuals in the case remaining. The deceased list for important figures relating to the case I have so far are as follows:

Hanz Holzer
George and Kathy Lutz
DeFeo Family- (obviously)
Dr. Stephen Kaplan
Ronnie's close friend (Kelske)

Warren's are up in there years also.

I am thinking that Ronnie will be the last one around with what really happened in Amityville. However, I am starting to doubt if he even knows himself.