Paul Hoffman

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Paul Hoffman

Post by Brendan72 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I have been reading some threads here relating to various issues in regards to Moran's recent radio interview, the Cromarty's owning the house from 1977 to 1987, and other general issues discussed, and have heard the name mentioned being Paul Hoffman.

Very little has been discussed regarding his death and the circumstances surrounding it. I have read I think on the thread covering Hans Holzer's death, regarding the deaths of main players in the Amityville case who are now deceased. I read that Paul Hoffman's death was in "mysterious circumstances"

I am unsure whether "mysterious circumstances" relates to the author of the posts's lack of knowledge towards what caused Hoffman's death, whether it was because they read from another source that his death was indeed under mysterious circumstances, and because he was tied in with the Amityville case by association with William Weber, that it was another one of those coincidences, or maybe all of the above.

If anybody has any information relating to his cause of death, or if they have any photographs of him, please let us know.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:43 pm

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Sun May 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Brendan mentions a very fascinating point of peripheral, direct or indirect persons involved in some capacity with Amityville having passed under "questionable" circumstances. Some well before their anticipated time, per se. When both Kathy and then George passed, I thought it curious, at best, but there is a list of folks that makes me wonder a little more closely about something sinister. Very strange.... :shock:
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Sun May 10, 2009 8:28 pm

A lot of them died of heart attacks. but they had causes.

Kathy: Long term smoking- not a heart attack.

George: Not sure but might have been smoking.

Jay Anson: Heart problems before book was writen.

Stephen Kaplan: Not sure.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Sun May 10, 2009 8:42 pm

If I remember right from his book, Stephen Kaplan had a heart attack in the 1970s and survived from it.

Personally, I don't think any of the deaths are more than coincidence. Look at how so many of us live, how so many people are overweight and don't exercise, and what we eat, smoke, and drink.

Kevin

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Sun May 10, 2009 8:50 pm

KevinW wrote:If I remember right from his book, Stephen Kaplan had a heart attack in the 1970s and survived from it.

Personally, I don't think any of the deaths are more than coincidence. Look at how so many of us live, how so many people are overweight and don't exercise, and what we eat, smoke, and drink.

Kevin
I think it was your website from where I heard about The Amityville deaths. None of them were killed under strange circumstances. Barbara Cromarty was almost killed at one of the tracks they owned when a car broke through a fence and she got hurt badly. She had a quick recovery. Jay Anson had history of heart problems. I'm not so sure that the incident with lumber falling from a truck on the way to the movie house ever happened.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks msmart,

Interesting how Hoffman died in a fire caused by a cigarette while in bed - which although is not uncommon occurrence for people who smoke in bed to risk similar happening, the fact he was involved in Amityville puts a somewhat interesting spin to the tale.

It also reminds me of the associate of Jay Anson's who when she took a chapter of The Amityville Horror home to read, died in a house fire along with her daughter.
- Brendan72

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 pm

I don't know what to think of this...quite eerie.

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 pm

At first I thought you guys meant that Paul Hoffman was the friend of Anson's who perished in the house fire after taking home a manuscript for TAH. Now I realize that was a separate incident, but seems more eerie now to know that quite a few associated with Amityville have died 'tragically' or 'mysteriously'. I am not sure whether or not to think it is just coincidence...

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Nope, different person altogether.

Another of Anson's friends had a car accident when he had the manuscript in the car with him. His car ran into a culvert filled with water (I assume it was raining that night), the car got submerged in water. According to Anson, the manuscript was retrieved from the car and was totally dry.

Oh yeah, the friend of Anson's survived the car incident.
- Brendan72

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Brendan72 wrote:Nope, different person altogether.

Another of Anson's friends had a car accident when he had the manuscript in the car with him. His car ran into a culvert filled with water (I assume it was raining that night), the car got submerged in water. According to Anson, the manuscript was retrieved from the car and was totally dry.

I heard that on the History's Mysteries episodes, and the way I understood it from Jay Anson's telling of it was that it was a sinkhole filled with water in the road. The manuscript was in the trunk. Now, if the car went into the hole front-end first, then the trunk would have been higher than the rest of the car when it came to rest, meaning it was most likely sticking out of the water, which would explain the manuscript being totally dry even though the car was submerged/wrecked.

Anytime I hear one of these stories from the people involved, I take them with a grain of salt. It would help if we had the original stories/reports to go on, but we instead have these stories told by Anson and others who want us to believe that they are connected to the house/manuscript/etc. How are we to know if the stories have been twisted in any way from what really happened?

Kevin

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:26 pm

KevinW wrote:
Brendan72 wrote:Nope, different person altogether.

I heard that on the History's Mysteries episodes, and the way I understood it from Jay Anson's telling of it was that it was a sinkhole filled with water in the road. The manuscript was in the trunk. Now, if the car went into the hole front-end first, then the trunk would have been higher than the rest of the car when it came to rest, meaning it was most likely sticking out of the water, which would explain the manuscript being totally dry even though the car was submerged/wrecked.

Anytime I hear one of these stories from the people involved, I take them with a grain of salt. It would help if we had the original stories/reports to go on, but we instead have these stories told by Anson and others who want us to believe that they are connected to the house/manuscript/etc. How are we to know if the stories have been twisted in any way from what really happened?

Kevin
I was paraphrasing the incident with the car. I'd heard it enough times myself from Anson's lips to my ears but it had been some time since I last watched the History Channel documentaries. But I think also it serves as an example of the incidences involved tied in with the case.

However, I understand why you would say we should take what Anson said with a pinch of salts - I'd like to see any newspaper articles relating to the car accident, as well as the fire that claimed the life of his colleague and her daughter.

Also, in respect to why he mentioned them, I don't think somehow that mentioning his friend's death and his other friend's misfortune would be in good taste for the sake of promoting the book. I somehow don't think Anson was so unfeeling that he would exploit his friend's misfortune for the sake of book promotion.

A cynic might believe he rolled the hard six to promote a book that was probably already set to make him millions (what's a few million more going to harm, right?) ... well I guess that at the time of the interview in question, Anson didn't have much longer to live himself.
- Brendan72

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 am

...whoa. What's this about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-j9Euyx6So

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Tue May 12, 2009 2:44 pm

astonio wrote:...whoa. What's this about?

I think the man in the photograph is Paul Hoffman...George probably just didn't have any memory of the photograph, due to the passage of time.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 pm

astonio wrote:...whoa. What's this about?

The bearded guy in the photo (on that YouTube clip) seems to be identified as Paul Hoffman during the History's Mysteries documentary. They don't come right out and say it, but they show this guy's photo when they talk about Hoffman.

But George Lutz knew what Hoffman looked like. He met Hoffman in person at Kathy's mom's house and later in court. This YouTube clip has George identifying this guy not as Paul Hoffman, but as "a radio reporter from channel 5."

I think this all came up last year when we were trying to figure out if Rick Moran really knew Hoffman like he claimed. Rick has a photo of another guy (who he claims to be Hoffman) at: http://www.asup-inc.org/apteastmanhattan.htm

But without anything else to compare it to, who knows if its really him or not.

In the end, all we know is that the bearded guy in the middle is not Hoffman. The guy on the side might be. Who knows...

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 am

Man this is fascinating! I'm rereading this thread a little more closely.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:44 am

Based on Rick Moran's reliability, he'd probably confuse Santa Claus with Colonel Sanders!
- Brendan72

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Thu May 14, 2009 11:31 am

This is real thick headed of me, but is Paul Hoffman the dude who didn't say squat in the docu: The Real Amityville Horror? To paraphrase a line from the docu - "...I originally thought the bodies had been moved, but the autopsy reports showed they hadn't..." He's also the guy on the front page of the latest newspaper report over in the Coffee House....

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 am

No that's Peter Jordan - the guy who investigated the book claims along with Rick Moran back in 1978.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Thu May 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks, Sherb! I was wondering what Mr. Jordan was doing in the docu without really contributing much.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:16 am

I honestly had not heard of Peter Jordan until that particular documentary.
- Brendan72