Sleep Paralysis?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Sleep Paralysis?

Post by Howard64 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 pm

I was reading this and right away I thought of the Amityville case. I will
say nothing more, rather let the article speak for itself...

http://news.yahoo.com/strange-sleep-dis ... 46861.html
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Re: Sleep Paralysis?

Post by devilbustedinct » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Not really new news for the curious or the "skeptics" who have known about this for decades (not to say it isn't interesting or worth posting), but it reminds of the old story about Ed Warren that Perry DeAngelis wrote over ten years ago:
There is a well described neurological phenomenon known as hypnagogia. This occurs when we are between the waking and sleeping states, semi-conscious, but not fully aware. It is during these times that the majority of such experiences occur. Many believe that they are being abducted by aliens from their beds, others, such as the case above, and others investigated by the Warrens, that they are visited by ghosts. During a hypnagogic hallucination our brain shuts off the neurons that connect to our spinal column during REM sleep to keep us from acting out our dreams.

When we offered this to Ed as a possible alternate explanation, he seemed intrigued. “But,” he continued confidently, “What about the pressure on the victim’s chest when the entity is trying to get into them…?” Well, we were sorry to tell Ed that pressure on the chest and shortness of breath are also a well described aspect of hypnagogia.

“Oh,” said Ed.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I saw that article this morning and I thought about George Lutz. What if he had it? But everyone else in the family had things happen to them in the house too so I guess that wouldn't be George's problem.

It is an interesting article. I have heard a little about it but didn't know that people also see a presence or feel something in the room with them. I thought they only were paralyzed and then came out of it. That would be very scary to have to go through. (there needs to be a horrified face to post, I will use the shocked face instead! lol) :shock:

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 am

kathyM wrote:IThat would be very scary to have to go through. (there needs to be a horrified face to post, I will use the shocked face instead! lol) :shock:
Just for you Kathy
Image Image Image Image Image
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:54 am

This was discussed during one of the Amityville Week episodes on Lou Gentile in 2002-03.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:59 am

Wow, that is very cool Matt! Where do you get those?

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 am

kathyM wrote:Wow, that is very cool Matt! Where do you get those?

Glad you like them Kathy.
This site has a more animated emoticons and animated smileys than you could point a stick at Image
http://www.freesmileys.org/
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks! I love it! :)

IrishChris1979
Amityville Member

Post by IrishChris1979 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for posting this! It was very interesting to read.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:01 am

I think I have had sleep paralysis once in my life.
I remember dreaming, hearing this loud thumping
and felt physically dizzy in the dream as if I was on
a children's merry-go-round.

I woke up to find myself frozen and unable to move.
The pounding in my head was my heartbeat and I was
feeling dizzy, like I was still on a merry-go-round. I could
See all around me, I was awake but not moving.

I get night terrors a lot too. That is pretty much
'Sleepwalking with a panic attack/dream hallucinations'
to me.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Trakehner
Amityville Member

Post by Trakehner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

I've had a few episodes of sleep paralysis. I think I posted a thread on here about it.

I wake up frozen unable to move, something pressing down hard on my chest and I see things.

Really terrifying.... takes a while for the paralysis to stop and I can then move again. Really freaks me out.
A skeptic is someone who hasn't had an experience yet
-- Jason Hawes

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

I hope I never experience sleep paralysis again (see above). It only happened the once
But it is a feeling I will never forget.

I thought I was going to die. I tried waking up and calling for help,
but of course, I was dizzy, heavy and couldn't move at all.

I get dream hallucinations all the time during sleep (but only if
the room is dark, for some strange reason). They are a pain and
freak a lot of people out, but I would take them over experiencing one night of
sleep paralisis if I was offered the choice to be free from night terrors for life.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Miz Kizzle
Amityville Addict

Post by Miz Kizzle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:38 am

I like to imagine Ed Warren as a physician.
Patient: Sometimes at night I have terrible dreams where I can't move and there's tremendous pressure on my chest. Is it a heart attack?"
Warren: "Not at all. That's the entity trying to get in."

AutumnMaidenDove
Amityville Addict

Post by AutumnMaidenDove » Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Wow, that would definitely freak me out. Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

JoeMorris
Amityville Member

Post by JoeMorris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I experienced Sleep Paralysis once.
It was awful.

I woke up from my sleep, in my bedroom, as normal. Only this time it was different ... the door was swinging open and shut, and I could see footstep compressions on the deep pile carpet, going all over the room .... there was also a massive weight on my chest. It lasted only for about a minute or so .... but recently I found out it was SP .... your brain kind of projects a "colour-screen-overlay" of your existing dream into reality, and it is truly scary!

George Lutz mentioned in one of the many documentaries/clips I've seen on Youtube that he had a weight on his chest and couldn't get up out of bed, and that there was stuff going off .... this would certainly be SP but I don't know about all the other stuff like slimey walls and black stuff in the toilet.
Sleep Paralysis does funny things to your underpants.

Vlad
Amityville Member

Post by Vlad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:20 pm

I've experienced sleep paralysis in a semi-conscious state many times, but never when I've been fully awake. Not really scary. Just a bit disorienting, thinking I'm awake, and trying to move my hand but can't, until I finally "break through" and wake up. Never felt the heaviness on my chest bit, though.

JoeMorris
Amityville Member

Post by JoeMorris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Vlad wrote:I've experienced sleep paralysis in a semi-conscious state many times, but never when I've been fully awake. Not really scary. Just a bit disorienting, thinking I'm awake, and trying to move my hand but can't, until I finally "break through" and wake up. Never felt the heaviness on my chest bit, though.
You've been lucky so far then. The weight on the chest is the reason people in the medieval times called SP the "Old Hag Syndrome" due to many of them envisaging an old hag type figure straddling them (sooner them than me)

I probably didn't see the 'hag' because by the time I was aware of the heaviness on my chest, I actually had my eyes shut, really tightly shut. I'm 50/50 with ghosts and manifestations etc, meaning I am not going to suggest they DO exist, because I have so far no solid evidence, but also I have no way of reasoning they DON'T exist, because it would be arrogant of me to say that, for all we know they might be with us all the time, it's just our 'focus' on our eyes cannot see that plane of 'existance'. There's one theory.

Back to the old hag, I didn't see the hag myself, but it was still scary business..... Actually 'experts' suggest that SP occurs more often when you are sleeping on your back. I've only had it happen the once as I remember, but it was enough to convince me that my little council-owned flat was haunted, and I slept on the sofa for around six months until I gained the courage to venture back into the bedroom again. Only recently have I found out about SP on the internet.
Sleep Paralysis does funny things to your underpants.

AutumnMaidenDove
Amityville Addict

Post by AutumnMaidenDove » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Wow Joe, that is some scary stuff. I never heard of SP until about a few years ago. I never experienced it myself and I hope I never will. I don't think I'd do to well with that experience. Thanks for sharing. I know it must have been hard to share something so traumatic.

Vlad
Amityville Member

Post by Vlad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Yeah, I believe the weight on chest sensation was also responsible for the belief in incubi and succubi.

Only hauntings I've ever experienced are indigestion and tax collectors!

Miz Kizzle
Amityville Addict

Post by Miz Kizzle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 am

Sleep paralysis is scary. I've had it a few times. The worst was when I thought someone had broken into the house and was approaching my bedroom. I couldn't move. It felt like an eternity, but eventually I came out of it. Of course nobody was there. It was pretty freaky, but at least I knew it was my brain pranking me because it's evil that way sometimes. A credulous nutbag like Ed Warren would think he woke up just in time to avoid a close encounter with Hognaur, the anal-raping demon.

cseyferth
Amityville Member

Post by cseyferth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 am

I had sleep paralysis a few months back, and I was fully awake and on my back. I don't recall any kind of "dream overlay", just that I was unable to move or vocalize. This instantly brought back memories of childhood where I would wake up in the middle of the night and scream for my mother, but no sound would come out.